Data Science Traineeship
Are you eager to contribute to data applications in the world of environmental, social and economic impact measurement, for businesses and investors? Do you want to use your skills to help make the economy fairer, more inclusive and more sustainable? And do you want to be of part of an ambitious, young and fast-growing organization?
We are looking for a trainee to join our Data team. The team focusses on tackling the data availability challenge of the impact economy. We make products for businesses and investors that have worldwide networks of suppliers and clients. Our data solutions help them to get a grasp on their impact as well as the impact in their value chain. This enables them to take better decisions to contribute to the transition to a more just society. The data covers Natural, Social, Human, Financial and Manufactured Capital indicators.
Our flagship database is the Global Impact Database (GID): https://www.impactinstitute.com/products/global-impact-database/
A data traineeship is a 12 months development path for recent graduates interested in getting hands-on experience in designing, building, analyzing and delivering impact data solutions and models, with an outlook to joining the team with a full-time position afterwards. During the traineeship you will join the data team and contribute to the development of existing and new databases, impact models, data delivery and data collection tools. You will also receive training to advance your skills in data processing and analysis, learn about impact modelling and, depending on your interest, consulting and other professional skills.
In practice, in this role you will
- Contribute to the design and programming of data products using Python, SQL, F# (functional language), Excel, Power BI
- Research data sources, and translate our methodologies into datasets that the project teams can use and easily pickup
- Find solutions to methodological challenges and do research on methods using statistics and AI tools
- Find ways to efficiently present data and insights and make our data visualizations epic
- Explore, analyze, interpret and validate newly developed datasets
- Assist the project teams with challenges that come up in project work
You will get your hands dirty as part of the global movement of experts that is bringing social and environmental impact data to the screens of investors and business decision makers, to empower them to address the global societal challenges we are facing. You will gain firsthand experience in a field which is seeing a fast-growing demand among investors worldwide and organizations in all sectors. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to the development of the strategy and team of Impact Institute, as we are a fast-growing organisation which continues to evolve quickly.
Internationally, Impact Institute is recognized as one of the frontrunners in this field. We are hosting a global “Banking for Impact” coalition and publishing an “Impact-Weighted Account Framework” together with Harvard Business School. We work with diverse organizations, small and big, such as Tony’s Chocolonely, Fairtrade International, KPN, ABN AMRO and Jumbo.
After 12 months and depending on performance and mutual preference, trainees are offered a follow up work contract, and the opportunity to further develop as professionals in the Impact Institute.
The ideal candidate
We are looking for you if:
- You are motivated to make a positive impact on society through your professional life.
- You are a numerically minded recent graduate, with a background in data science or another quantitative study such as mathematics, physics, statistics, engineering, econometrics, industrial ecology or similar, with data science experience through university coursework or self-study
- You are looking for a first professional experience in a stimulating environment, where you can learn about how data solutions for impact measurement and valuation at scale are built.
- You want to receive a 360 view on how data is being used by change-makers today to make a difference in the business and financial world.
- You want to be part of a growing social enterprise that works on the basis of innovation, data analysis and transparency. You want to be part of a young and purpose-driven team.
- You are a team player with good communication skills
- You have experience with Python or functional programming languages (e.g. Haskell or Lisp) or .NET, knowledge of SQL databases or cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure are a plus
- You are fluent in English
- You are entitled to work in The Netherlands, or are eligible for a residence permit for orientation year (recent graduates with MSc from Dutch higher education institutions or an internationally recognised Top 200 university, info on ind.nl)
What we offer
- A 1 year full-time traineeship with active coaching and supervision in an informal environment
- You will develop your impact measurement and valuation, as well as programming skills, data engineering, data modelling, database management, data storage, and practical skills like working with scrum in data science, presenting results, teamwork, through on-the-job learning and our ongoing trainings.
- A dynamic and stimulating working environment with a professional and young culture, where everyone has the chance to take responsibility and help to shape the development of the company
- Perspective on a follow up contract and professional development path
- A place in our office in Amsterdam, with the option to regularly work from home
- Hours per week: 32-40
- Company pension scheme and 6 weeks holiday per year
- Company laptop & public transport reimbursement
Are you ready?
If you recognize yourself in the above, we welcome you to apply for this position by sending your resume, cover letter and list of grades (in English) to email@example.com ultimately September 25, 2022. We review applications on a rolling basis and interview candidates also before this deadline, so if this vacancy speaks to you, don’t hesitate to submit your application!.
We prefer to have direct contact with our applicants, therefore we do not work with intermediaries, such as recruitment agencies
Do you want to make a real impact with your analytical skills? Do you want to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive economy? Are you driven to make a difference in the world by helping companies accelerate change in the energy & resource transition, global value chains and/or the financial sector? Do you want to develop yourself in the growing field of impact measurement and be part of an ambitious and driven organization?
We are currently looking for a motivated analyst intern to join our consulting team to support our projects and products. As an analyst intern at Impact Institute’s consulting team, you will choose one of three specializations (Sustainable Finance, Responsible value chains or Energy, Water & Infrastructure) and be trained to become a junior impact consultant. If desired – you can also combine multiple specializations. Examples of projects you may contribute to include:
Specialization Sustainable Finance:
- Impact measurement for a small impact investing company
- Setting up an impact report for a large international bank
- Developing industry guidelines to promote sustainable practices and account for (upcoming) national and international legislation
Specialization Responsible value chains:
- Human rights impact assessment of mangos value chain for a supermarket
- Sustainability assessment of clothing production for an international NGO
- Impact measurement & strategy for a local social enterprise focused on inclusive labour markets
Specialization Energy, Water & Infrastructure (Dutch required):
- Impact reporting for large clients in energy, water and resource transition
- Facilitating in creating long-term impact strategies for infrastructure organizations
- Advising on impact-related case studies, influencing decision-making
You work closely with consulting team members focusing on topics within your chosen specialization and will be working on internal and client projects with regular team check-ins. At the start, you will do supplementary analysis under close supervision, as it involves client work. Soon you will get more responsibilities and support throughout all phases of a project’s cycle.
You support our consultancy projects by:
- Contributing to quantitative analyses on environmental, social and economic benefits and costs based on primary and secondary data.
- Conducting economic and business analyses to formulate and assess projects that companies can do to profitably improve their impact
- Working together with our data, software and research teams
What do we offer?
- A dynamic, flexible and stimulating working environment with a professional and young culture.
- A 6-month full-time internship, 32-40 hours per week
- Active coaching, regular training (onboarding, team training, consulting training, etc) and supervision
- Access to a strong network (partner-organizations, board members)
- A compensation of €385 per month for interns with a completed Bachelor’s degree, €605 per month for Interns with a completed Master’s degree and commuting costs up to €275 per month, based on a full-time internship
- Perspective on a job in case of excellent performance
- Functional work areas: Impact, Sustainability, Strategy, Economics, Environment, Life cycle assessment and Finance.
- Additional benefits: Laptop
You are looking for hands-on professional experience in a stimulating environment, where you will learn a lot and get the opportunity to work on projects that have an impact. You want an internship at a social enterprise that works based on solid analysis, sustainable innovation and transparency. You are looking for an opportunity to learn about and contribute to a cutting-edge field that meets a fast-growing demand among private, public and non-governmental sector organizations worldwide.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree and working towards a Master’s degree .
- Sustainability and/or quantitative background or proven interest (coursework in sustainability, econometrics, statistics, mathematics, physics, information sciences, life cycle assessment and/or industrial ecology).
- Affinity with sustainable development, business consulting, economics, social or environmental sciences.
- Ability to work hard in a professional setting.
- An ambitious person with a drive to improve the world.
- Independent, accurate, results-oriented and problem solver.
- Ability to communicate about technical issues to people without a technical background.
- Experience with programming and databases is a plus.
- Ability to write in English at an academic level. Dutch fluency is a plus.
Are you ready?
If you recognize yourself in the above, we welcome you to apply for our Internship program by sending your resume, cover letter and list of grades to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We prefer to have direct contact with our applicants, therefore we do not work with intermediaries, such as recruitment agencies.